- Meet James Marinero
- Thrillers, thriller novels, espionage or spy novels - I write them, and I read them. Find out what makes a good thriller, dig into the spy novels genre. My favourite reads, video trailers
- Best Thrillers
- My pick of the best thrillers - books I've actually read, not a compilation of others' lists compiled again from others' lists. Spy novels figure strongly, but why? Is deceitr and duplicity an important element?
- Best Thriller Books Authors
- Who is the best thriller books author? It's a tough one, I know - here are some suggestions, and a chance for you to have your say. The genre is very wide, and the best plots are intense and deeply interwoven.
- Best Thriller Novels - The Spy Genre Dissected
- Many of the best thriller novels are so-called spy novels. What are the secrets of the best spy novels when target readers are relatively sophisticated and used to coping with complex plots? The very best thriller novels will include a broad spectrum of these topics, with one, or perhaps two, explored in great depth as the core of the work. Spy novels are a difficult genre in which to write well, because they usually involve characters of high intellect. Developing those characters, their motivations, thought processes and associated plots requires a high degree of skill, and dare I say, intellect, on the part of the author.
- Espionage Thriller Novels
- An index to my favourite espionage thriller novels. Spy craft and subterfuge, duplicity and double dealing - lying, deceiving, planning, cheating, executing. All ingredients of the best spy novels.
- Location Research For Spy Novels
- Good location research, preferably on-the-spot, is essential if an author of spy novels is to capture the feel of a location and convey a sense of place. This is about my research in North Africa. I have written elsewhere about the importance of fact checking. It tends to be undertaken mainly at the editing stage. Of course, if a book’s plot relies heavily on the accuracy of a particular fact, then the checking needs to be done very early on in the writing process. Good location research, preferably on-the-spot, is essential too, if an author of spy novels (or other thrillers for that matter) is to capture the feel of a location and write with authority about that place.
- Publishing News
- News from the publishing world.
- Thank you for joining
- Thank you page for joining my newsletter